CLICK HERE NOW FOR CUSTOM CDGs
This Link will open a new window to the only legal source for Sound Choice brand custom CDGs.

Search The Sound Choice Store: Go Advanced search
Sound Choice - SoundBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | directory | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Sound Choice - SoundBoard » Karaoke Online Forum » Longest Karaoke Song ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Longest Karaoke Song ?
tim10cc
Member # 1752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim10cc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just curious ??? What is the longest Karaoke song in the Sound Choice catalog ???

I know Alice Cooper's "Only woman bleed" is 6 minutes long but I am sure there is something out there longer???

Tim

Posts: 192 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanJ
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paradise By The Dashboard Light on 8106 comes in at 8:29.

American Pie on 7529 is 8:50

Free Bird on 8459 is 9:25.

I don't know if these are the top 3, but they have to be close.

Posts: 2367 | From: London, Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjmat
Member # 1068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjmat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meat loaf - bat outof hell 9:48
Posts: 598 | From: Parksville, NY | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeminimALE
Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GeminimALE   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT TAKING ANYTHING OVR 6 MIN OUT OF MY BOOK DUE TO THE FACT THAT SOME PEOPLE DO THESE AND THEY SOUND GOD AWEFUL NOT FOR SURE YET BUT ALSO SLOWS DOWN THE SHOW TO A POINT WHERE i COULD GET TWO PEOPLE UP INSTEAD OF ONE FOR THAT 8 OR 9 MIN NUMBER...OH WELL
Posts: 797 | From: Salina,KS | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultimatefan
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultimatefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll allow them early, but never in the last hour. I've seen others who also do this. I've got one guy, who only seems to pick those kind of songs. He does them well, and it seems more coincedence, then deliberate.
Posts: 650 | From: Massillon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DenisErectus
Member # 1741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DenisErectus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there are those who do deliberately choose long songs repeatedly in order to prolong their onstage exposure. Those types really irk me due to thier lack of consideration for others.
Posts: 29 | From: Aberdeen, WA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidE
Member # 1143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DavidE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite Meat Loaf songs, "For Crying Out Loud" is on SC and it comes in at around 8:50 with a 4 measure intro, a 5 measure break, and another 4 measure break. Fortunatly, I've only done it once at a venue, at a start of a show with only 1 or 2 singers at the time. I usually just do it at home.

Also SC's version of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir runs about the same at under 9 mins.

[This message has been edited by DavidE (edited September 13, 2005).]

Posts: 2246 | From: Palmdale, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Speck
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Speck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget George Thorogood's version of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer", which clocks in at about 8:30.

I wonder what John Lee Hooker thought about his simple little song being stretched out to such epic lengths?

Best,

Mark

Posts: 1595 | From: Willoughby Hills, Ohio, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightshow
Member # 1141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knightshow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think any song over 6 1/2 mins should count as TWO turns... you give up a spot in the previous rotation to sing it...

my thoughts only, others of course do their shows differently!

Posts: 3332 | From: Independence, mo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Katzoff
Member # 920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Katzoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the previous rotation"? So you put in the slip in round 1 and you don't get up until round 2? I suppose this makes more sense than the other way where they could skill out after singing and not pay the "bill".

Generally the only times I do really long songs intentionally (I don't always have the length down) are requests (Goodnight Saigon for vets) or a very slow night, like at the beginning when there are few singers.

Posts: 1261 | From: Milton, MA 02186 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightshow
Member # 1141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knightshow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep... if they want to do a song like that, then put them in for the rotation, but "skip over them", and then move on...

explaining it to the customer too!

When you have killer rotations, the last thing you really need is egocentrics going hog wild.

And trust me, they'll find other songs to sing!

[This message has been edited by knightshow (edited September 15, 2005).]

Posts: 3332 | From: Independence, mo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
[kingtony™]
Member # 1678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for [kingtony™]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't allow Paradise By The Dashboard Light at any show where I have any authority
Posts: 1242 | From: Lakewood, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Cathcart
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Cathcart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November Rain (GNR?)
Lifes been good - Joe walsh, both at about 9 min
"oficially" I don't have anything over about 6 1/2 min, but in reality there's a few like the live/long version of Friends in Low Places (much to my chagrin) only because too many people would notice it missing and raise a stink.
I did recently find several 8 or 9 min songs that snuck by me but they will be going away here in about a month when I redo my books.
Freebird is actually about a 4 min song with a 5 min outro, so I don't have problem at all with that one.
I like Knightshows way of handling it but I'm not the kind of person who likes to try and reason with people who've been drinking so just getting rid of the songs gives me one less thing to hassle with.
I initially started getting rid of the long songs when I noticed the crowd moaning and groaning whenever the song duration would come up on the screen for them.

Sam

Posts: 113 | From: Spokane, Wash/North Idaho | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightshow
Member # 1141

any authority?

It's that kind of attitude I dislike from Karaoke HOSTS...

It is for the SINGER's benefit, NOT ours. If we wanted, we could talk up a storm about what songs are the bane of our existance... and we have! In this forum and in others.

But the whole purpose we got into this business that there's a demand for singers to sing... and hopefully, your company does the job for them!!

Like Dr. Phil says "It's not ABOUT YOU!" LOL

Timberlea
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timberlea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No different then telling a singer if they do a long song they have to miss a rotation. All songs in the book are fair game.
Posts: 377 | From: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultimatefan
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultimatefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DJIceWaterTony:
I won't allow Paradise By The Dashboard Light at any show where I have any authority

This song is almost a guaranteed party song. Even non-singers will get up and dance. Reminds me of Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock & Roll" (albeit not in length) as one to liven the place up a bit.

Posts: 650 | From: Massillon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightshow
Member # 1141

not at all, Tim. One is about abusing a time constraint, the other is about being controlling, and NOT allowing a song at all.
DanJ
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm for consistency. I don't care if a KJ chooses to leave longer songs out of their books. (I think these folks have issues with thinking their songs per hour ratio matters, but it is their show). I don't agree with saying you use 2 rotation slots, or saying you can't sing certain songs after 1am. If it's good at 9, its good at 1.

If somebody doesn't get up because I sang Scenes From An Italian Restaurant at 130am, tough, they should come earlier. If I don't get up because of the long songs preceeding me, as long as the rotation was run fairly, that's all I can ask for. I mean, if everyone else had sang 3 minute instead of 4 minute songs earlier in the night, everyone could have gotten up once more. If we limited it to TV themes all night long, there still would be people left at the end of the night wanting to sing more. I've yet to be at a karaoke show in 15 years that ran out of singers. Maybe some shows where it was a little sluggish getting it going early in the night, but if there are 3 people left in the place at 3am, you can bet 2 of them will want to sing again.

Posts: 2367 | From: London, Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony^
Member # 750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony^   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 song per turn.
Some will sing long (8 mins. +)
Others will sing super short (1 min. +)
It all averages out to about (5 mins ea)
A 4 hr show typically accomodates 52 different songs.

PBTDBL may not (okay, is not) one of my personal favs but it makes a lot of people happy and hey, it counts as a turn for 2 (or more) people typically. So it balances out to be an average turn for each.

Ultimately, it's not about what I like, but about what "they" like or "they" won't keep coming back.

Posts: 878 | From: Ottawa, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flameslayer
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flameslayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Pony hit the nail on the head. Not all, but it seems like many KJ's voicing their opinion here, (and they have that right) think the show is somehow about them. While you may be a successful KJ with this attitude think how much better and enjoyable your show would be for your patrons if the focus is on them and not you.

There is a KJ in my area who fiddles with the rotation, plays favorites with certain singers and joins in singing and using attention getting props as a mainstay of his show. Needless to say I do not patronize his show anymore.

My philosophy is that while I'm the host, I'm not the star. My singers are what make the show and my focus is on them.

[This message has been edited by flameslayer (edited September 26, 2005).]

Posts: 902 | From: Joliet,IL.USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultimatefan
Member # 806

I understand your feelings Dan, I was just trying to squeeze in as many before the lights come up and they throw everybody out. I actually read it here on some thread, and said that's not a bad idea. Never really been an issue. I may consider removing it when I print my new books up next month. I really did have the singers (as a whole)best interest in mind. Here are a few others I would be interested in opinions on.

Song is not allowed to be sung twice in the same hour.
Never hear the same song more than twice a night.
The first one was to try to eliminate someone wanting to do the same song 'cause they could do it better. The second simply because no one really wants to hear the same song 3 times in a night. This one came about because of "Picture" (Kid & Crow). When it first came out, everybody wanted to do it all night long. Because it is about the singers, I didn't really care initially how many times. But people were literally coming up and saying "that's the 4th time I've heard that, please don't make it a fifth. So, that one made sense to me. I really am trying to make it fair, yet tolerable for singers and non-singers alike. I've not heard any complaints about the last two rules, but I've had discussions with singers about lengthly songs the last hour on both sides of the issue. I 'may' consider removing that one. Curious how others feel.

Mark Katzoff
Member # 920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Katzoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of question for those who use the "no long songs in the last hour" rule:

1. Does that lead to a greater concentration of long songs earlier?

2. How do you handle it if someone requests a long song a couple of hours before the show ends but you get slammed with new singers so they don't get up to sing until the last hour? Do they have to change their song?

This type of rule seems to me to be like the duets count for both persons rule, rules that play to appearances as opposed to what is necessarily fair. Dan's point is a good one - if he is in the rotation all night it does not matter when he sings the long song, but if people are watching the clock in the last hour seeing if they'll squeeze in one more song, that long song seems even longer than earlier in the night when people figure to have more chances to sing. Taking Dan's point in a different direction, should it make a difference if the person putting in a long song at the end has been there all night and could have put the song in earlier as opposed to someone who comes in late because he knows you work in the newbies and doing a 9 minute song to maximize his stage time?

Posts: 1261 | From: Milton, MA 02186 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flameslayer
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flameslayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the "not repeating of a song" rule to the extent that a song can be repeated if it's been over 2 hours since it was first sung.
Posts: 902 | From: Joliet,IL.USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultimatefan
Member # 806

Great question Mark. First, I think I usually get longer ones earlier. If I get one from someone who's been in rotation, but it gets to the last hour, I usually would accomodate them. It's the one who are coming in very late and using to maximize their stage time that I think I would take issue with. Again, this is the one I'm thinking of removing. It's never really been an issue. I really was trying to squeeze as many as I could in at the end. The reason I love this board, is I can always learn things to make everything go smoother and be fairer. I really do enjoy the discussions, whether I've posted to the thread or not. Been doing it for over 7 years, and don't mind 'tweeking' to improve the overall show. The thing that frustrates me the most is when you get the party of 6 or 8 and everyone has to do a song with each other (tons of slips). I remember reading on here that one kj treated that as one. I think he would do a maximum of two slips from that party per rotation. I really don't have comfortable way to handle that situaton. You may only have two names on the slip, but it always seems to end up being the entire table. People say why did that table get to sing 3 in a row. Well it started out to be "Kelly & Pam", then it was supposed to be "Denise & Tracy", and finally "Sue & Paul". Sue doesn't want to sing so Paul has Kelly come up to help him with his duet. Now, Kelly was up for her's and she helped out Denise and Tracy, then with Paul. Of course, the people who use alias's to get up multiple times probably irks alot of kj's. I've told these singers, fine use a stage name but put your real name on their somewhere so I can keep a fair rotation. Again, appreciate any and all advice or criticism. It can only make things better. I do not simply make rules so things are my way or the highway like some. I have picked things up here to try to improve the show. I didn't mean to get the subject changed from the original thread.

[This message has been edited by ultimatefan (edited September 26, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by ultimatefan (edited September 26, 2005).]

Mark Katzoff
Member # 920

I'm just a singer, not a KJ, but here are my thoughts on the irksome problems.

1. The aliases - It sounds like you have this right - alias and real name. That way they can change the alias by the song and you can still track them. The other part of the solution is if you realize they are getting up out of turn you pull their song, announce that there was a mistake and put them back where they should be in the rotation.

2. Tables - this is one of the reasons why I would not want to be a KJ. I know some KJs use a policy of only allowing the people on the slip on the mike, so that might be one solution. If they want to go up as the "gang" they have to list the gang members. Limiting the table to two a round also seems reasonable, preferably with the songs separated. My personal duet theory, which I know is more generous than some KJs, is that you should be entitled to one solo and one duet on someone else's turn for a round provided that there are no reciprocal duets (John & Jane, then Jane & John) in the same round. If they're just doing real duets, I wouldn't have problems if everyone in the table wound up getting up twice in the round.

Pony^
Member # 750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony^   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatefan:
... appreciate any and all advice or criticism. It can only make things better...

a few excerpts from out training manual may help:
quote:
One Singer – Multiple Names
Sometimes patrons use stage names or funny names as a joke. While we appreciate playfulness, we become concerned when someone purposely changes his or her slip for the express purpose of singing ahead of everyone else in a long rotation.

Anyone who is discovered attempting to intentionally defeat the rotation may be removed from the current rotation. If repeated they may be removed for the night. Inform the room that you need to know who the players are in order to remain fair to everyone.

One Name – Multiple Singers
John, Jon, Johnny, John Boy, and Johnny B, could all be the same guy. If that’s the case, it could cause a great deal of grumbling if you call “John” and a few songs later, you call “Jon” (giving the same guy 2 turns).

You could also run into big problems assuming that John, John, John, and John are all the same guy. We’ve had as many as 4 "Chantals" in one room… just imagine the "Johns" & "Toms" & "Bobs" oh my!

To avoid confusion, encourage peple in the room to:
1. Pick one name to use throughout the evening
2. Add their last initial on their request slips to help you to distinguish between John B., John F. & John R.

Karaoke Gangs
These are scary moments for most hosts…the "gangs" that bring up requests that look like this:

John/Bob/Joe
Bob/Jill/John
John/Jill/Meg/Joe
Joe/Paul

The scenario: a busy room with a huge rotation and you want to give everyone a turn, but by doing so, some people will get up 2 times before others in the room get a chance to get up once!

Kinda makes your head spin doesn’t it?
You could approach the group and explain that on busy nights, duets and group songs count as a turn for each person. Encourage them to try individual songs or explain that you can get John/Jill/Meg/Joe up but cannot get Paul up with Joe again this turn, nor Bob with Jill and John. Perhaps Bob can come up with the group, do a duet with Paul, or perhaps sing a solo.

Gangs of Gangs
Just when you thought the gang was challenging to manage, you find you have 3 gangs of gangs. Explain, either individually or to the entire room that, on busy nights, groups count as a turn and encourage smaller groups or individual requests.

You'll notice that all the scenerios involve communicating with the individual singer, the table of singers or the room at large. Communication is the key! Let people know what you need from them in order to run a fun and fair show. They'll respond in kind.

Hope it helps!

Posts: 878 | From: Ottawa, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultimatefan
Member # 806

Great advice both of you! Pony, helps immensely. Mark, I agree with your duet philosophy. I have a couple regulars of both genders who are willing to help out some newbies, and they shouldn't be penalized.
knightshow
Member # 1141

I wouldn't penalize someone trying to help out a newbie, but you can tell when folks are singing duets JUST to get another turn on the mic!
willyd
Member # 1606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a singer I will occasionally do a longer song.(Usually November Rain or Stairway to Heaven ) but I will only do it on a slow night. If the rotation is more than a few singers I'll stick to Blood Pollution. Also if the song has a long outro I will ask the KJ to go ahead and fade it out so that I am not standing on the stage looking like a fool for 2 or 3 minutes until the song ends
P.S. Once the KJ asked me to do November Rain to give him a break!

Posts: 100 | From: Woodstock, Georgia, U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 1885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lifes been good - Joe walsh...at about 9 min
Yep, that is a longie! I didn't realize it was THAT long, but I know it's long. I've sung it, and during the instrumental break, I got a guy sitting nearby to dance with me a little bit. I wasn't trying DELIBERATELY to pick a long song, though--I just picked something I like that I thought I could do a decent job singing. [Smile] (BTW, during the part where the background vocalists are singing "heeeeee's cool", I sang "sheeeeee's cool", since that line is referring to whoever is singing the song. That was the only place in the song where I really had to make a gender change, though! LOL! [Smile] )

I've also sung Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" (not SC, but a different company--I think (name of company bleeped out)?), and it wasn't as long as the recording. A lot of the instrumental stuff was cut out. I can understand that, since it's for karaoke--but the problem is that it was VERY badly edited. You know how sometimes when there's a short version of a song, it sounds like a record skipping? Well, that's how this one was.

[ March 13, 2007, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Laura ]

--------------------
Love singing! Love singing! Love love love!

Posts: 801 | From: St. Louis County, Missouri | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
[kingtony™]
Member # 1678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for [kingtony™]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The copy I have of Jesus Of Suburbia clocks in at 9:29

Also I am working on a copy of Tool's Parabol/Parabola as a combo song...with intro and outro screens it comes to just around 9:50

[ May 13, 2006, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: King Tony - King Of Hearts ]

--------------------
Be still my heart
This could be a brand new start
with you <3

Posts: 1242 | From: Lakewood, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJPuto
Member # 1996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJPuto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Feelin that Way/Anytime by Journey...thank god they cut InAGaddaVida to like 5:00

--------------------
It ain't gonna lick itself....

Posts: 84 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
touron2003
Member # 1543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for touron2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know how long Piano Man by Bill Joel Is? SGB did some really cool jazz songs but which had verrrrry long instrumental interludes. Try Scotch and Soda sometime even if you don't know it. A KJ had me sing it once. Lonnnnnnnnggg...I probably could have had 3 scotch and sodas while the lounge piano was planking away. [Roll Eyes]

[ May 15, 2006, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: touron2003 ]

Posts: 683 | From: seattle,wa,usa | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcolake
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcolake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait till the beatles "<i want you> she's so heavy" comes out on print. i look forward to it.
but it may be like number nine, number 9 to the audience.

Posts: 880 | From: jacksonville, fl | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJPuto
Member # 1996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJPuto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Queen of the Reich is like 8 min. BAlls to the Wall is 7...Most Zep songs are pretty darn long as well.

--------------------
It ain't gonna lick itself....

Posts: 84 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mister music
Member # 1903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mister music     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keepin the r&b alive

longest songs

1. a house is not a home
2. ribbon in the sky
3. got to give it up
4. i will survive
5. superstar

long songs are ridiculous

get on the soul train

Posts: 98 | From: california bay area | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cliffd64
Member # 451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliffd64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marcolake:
wait till the beatles "<i want you> she's so heavy" comes out on print. i look forward to it.
but it may be like number nine, number 9 to the audience.

With songs like that that have incredibly long outro's with no singing, it's easy to a little radio fade .... there's no reason to listen to a 4 minute outro while you are doing a show... You just have to think like an old-fashioned AM radio DJ and fade it out...

Several songs fit this mode... more and more every day, like "Wrapped Up In You", "Hotel California", "The Dance", and "Long White Cadillac" to name a few off the top of my head. (ok, if you want you can wait for the one last word after 48 measures in Long White Cadillac...)

Posts: 575 | From: West Hartford, CT USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonman
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WolfMage:How can you CUT 'Hotel California'? Every wanna be air-drummer and air-guitarist LOVES the ending. Besides, nothing is more entertaining than watching a bar full of people 'playing' the whole end of the song.
Easy, I do it all the time. Same with Comfortably Numb & the long version of Freebird.
I can deal with a couple of "Ahhhh"'s, to get the next singer up.

[ May 18, 2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Lonman ]

--------------------
Lonman Productions

We don't entertain you, you entertain EVERYONE!!!

Visit my MySpace site
http://www.myspace.com/lonmanpro
or Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lonmanpro

Posts: 1845 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cliffd64
Member # 451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cliffd64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...

I think most patrons will sacrifice their air-guitar time in lieu of getting another song in...

Basic rule of thumb... if the singer who requested the song isn't still on stage... no reason to keep hearing the outro for another bunch of minutes.

Posts: 575 | From: West Hartford, CT USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
touron2003
Member # 1543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for touron2003   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I knew on KJ that took this to the extreme. If there was a 5-10 second outro, she would cut it off. Aye Caramba! Where is the sense of closure? Admittedly most KJ's don't do this, but when it happens it just seem lik-- [Wink]
Posts: 683 | From: seattle,wa,usa | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Sound Choice Store | Privacy Statement

©1999-2011 Sound Choice