CLICK HERE NOW FOR CUSTOM CDGs
This Link will open a new window to the only legal source for Sound Choice brand custom CDGs.

Search The Sound Choice Store: Go Advanced search
Sound Choice - SoundBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | directory | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Sound Choice - SoundBoard » Karaoke Online Forum » Setting up a web site - idiots guide please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Setting up a web site - idiots guide please
Greg n Lisa - DiamondFire
Member # 1089

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Greg n Lisa - DiamondFire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa here with another idiot question.

We now have webspace through our internet provider and want to set up a cool, funky web site to represent our business.

Problem:-

a) we don't understand the deal with domain names and what you have to do to get one (we wanna .com).

b) we don't have the foggiest idea how to get a web site up and running.

c) We're too poor to employ a programmer to do it all in an hour, baffle us with horsemuck and charge us more than we earn.

What did you guys all do?

This is really depressing - I look at site like Dog n Pony's and think "oh gheez we're are just gonna look like fools with a rubbish website".

sob.........

Lisa

Posts: 251 | From: Bedford, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dahootch
Member # 761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dahootch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest going to a free web site provide like geocities.com

Try out their tutorial stuff to get the hang of it, then in the meantime scour the Internet/friends for free information on how to build a more complex site like Dog's.

Dahootch

Posts: 55 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxwellswitch
Member # 938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxwellswitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a) Go to www.mydomain.com

There you can put in your .com name and find out if it's available to register. If it's available, you can register the name through a company called NamesDirect for $14.95 a year with a two year minimum. Once you have the name registered, you used the free services of mydomain.com to redirect your registered .com name to your webspace through your internet provider.

(Example - when people put in your .com name i.e. www.greatkaraoke.com, mydomain.com will redirect those people to your webspace i.e. www.aol.com/~user/diamondfire/index.html)

b) you can use MS Word or other programs (even some free ones available on the internet) to create a web page. If you can use a word processor, you can create a simple web page.

There are free sites out there that have tools to help you build a web site.
I recommend www.20m.com

c) If you want to sing, you have to pay the KJ So if you want something fancy, you either have to pay someone or figure it out yourself.

You can check out what I did for my band using mydomain.com, www.20m.com, and built using MS Word at www.maxwellswitch.com

It's not fancy, but it's functional.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony^
Member # 750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony^   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisa

Your Inet provider can also assist you in securing and setting up your domain name (though it is usually cheaper if you do it yourself).

GOTO Internic.com for more info, to research which domain names are available, and to register your own name.

Do you currently have logo/graphics that you want to be using on your site?

Draw a diagram of what kinds of funtionality you want your site to have. What are the main menu items going to be and what do you want each section and subsection to do?
Schematics are very useful in both building the site yourself or giving to a designer and saying "here! Make pretty!"

Obtain WSSIWYG software (What you see is what you get). If you have MS Office, MS Frontpage is included, there are other packages available free or as trialware on the Net. Try: TuCows for some free downloads.
A WSSYWIG editor allows you to drag and drop elements into your website without all that mucky-mucky programming stuph - Great for beginners and usually pretty easy to get the hang of (not unlike creating drag and drop documents).

If you have some basic elements (logo/schematic/design ideas/color ideas etc.) email me...I'll see what I can do.

Pony

[This message has been edited by Pony^ (edited November 12, 2001).]

Posts: 878 | From: Ottawa, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyRSI
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KellyRSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Microsoft FrontPage Express is a great place to start. I designed this site http://markhess.home.mindspring.com/index.htm for a realtor friend of mine in FrontPage Express, and I got the program as a free download on the web. This site is also not all that fancy, but it works. My friend registered a domain name ... through a site similar to the ones mentioned above and had them point that address to the site I designed. My friend basically came up with how he wanted the site to look (and we drew it out together on paper), and asked me to put it together for him.

I'm about to go in and spruce the site up a bit with some basic Java stuff, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

------------------
Kelly Alsip http://www.rexall.com/healthy-n-fit

[This message has been edited by KellyRSI (edited November 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by BC/Studio Manager (edited November 13, 2001).]

Posts: 36 | From: Lawrence, KS, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCAdmin
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCAdmin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my suggesstions

Get your domain name at http://www.buydomains.com

you are looking at $32.00 for 2 years. This will secure your domain name and give you an "Office" to manage that name and any additional names you may purchase.

They also give you the ability to redirect that name to ANY OTHER PAGE. So you could creat a website at Geocities and have your new name redirect to that location. They also offer email redirection so that ANY email that goes to yourname@whatever.com will be redirect to an existing email account of your choice. All these extra features are free.

If you are looking for hosting I would suggest HOST ROCKET.

If you pay for hosting for 2 years you are looking at only 9.95/month if you want to pay monthly it's $14.95 / month. They have a TON of stuff available that is more than enough for the average website. Unlimited POP Email, Unlimited autoresponders, 15GIG of transfer each month, Interchange Shopping Cart system, 350 Meg of storage, and on and on. So far from my experience the service is great and features are tremendous. And no this is not a commercial. I've just gone through MANY domain registers and MANY hosting comanys.

You can always check out TheBook This is where we have Sound Choice hosted and I have had NO PROBLEMS in the 6+ years I have personally been with them.

If you have any questions feel free to email me and I'll try to help you out best I can.

Rodney

Posts: 10112 | From: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonman
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.freeservers.com offers free web pages & design with unlimited e-mail mailboxes, have free add-ons such as counters, guestbooks, polls, quizes, news clips, streaming video among other nifty features. You get 20 meg of storage for free & can upgrade to 100 meg with 10 meg file transfer capability for $14 per month (which also eliminates their irritating pop ups & banners). I've been using it for 5 years & never had any major problems.
Lonman Productions

[This message has been edited by Lonman (edited November 13, 2001).]

Posts: 1845 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCAdmin
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCAdmin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us all know when you get it set up I'd love to see it when you're done

Rodney

Posts: 10112 | From: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Sound Choice Store | Privacy Statement

©1999-2011 Sound Choice