CLICK HERE NOW FOR CUSTOM CDGs
This Link will open a new window to the only legal source for Sound Choice brand custom CDGs.

Search The Sound Choice Store: Go Advanced search
Sound Choice - SoundBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | directory | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Sound Choice - SoundBoard » Karaoke Online Forum » What song is this? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What song is this?
Grateful
Member # 135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Grateful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... a couple of months ago, someone requested that I try this duet, but I don't know the name of the song! It's been driving me nuts, and I've been asking my friends... the song sounds familiar to them, but they can't recall it exactly either.

So here it goes. It's a little vague, but the basic premise of the song is that there's this girl at this guy's house, and she's telling him that she has to go home - and he's trying to convince her to stay the night because it's either "cold outside", or "raining outside" or "snowing outside"... I can't remember! But, the song goes something like: "(female) I really have to go... (male) but babe it's cold outside."

Something like that. Anyone know what song this is, and if SoundChoice has it?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Grateful (edited February 12, 2000).]

Posts: 1487 | From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Speck
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Speck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like "Baby It's Cold Outside", which is kind of a standard, but I couldn't tell you who did the definitive version.

Best,

Mark

Posts: 1595 | From: Willoughby Hills, Ohio, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC the DJ at SONG YEN
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC the DJ at SONG YEN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you!
Ray Charles and Betty Carter have probably the best version out there, but recently it was re-done by Aaron Neville and somebody else..I collect Christmas CD's and that was a release...

BC: Grab Ray's Greatest Hits and give that one a listen..an excellent one for your next duet disc (or Christmas release!)

Posts: 303 | From: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grateful
Member # 135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grateful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. That's it. Well, that was pretty obvious, wasn't it? But, I can't find it available for karaoke anywhere... amazing. The lyrics can be found at the website below (don't know the legalities of posting it here).
http://www.lemonadelounge.com/lyrics/lyrics97.html

Posts: 1487 | From: Irvine, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANDANTE
Member # 80

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANDANTE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK..I got one! The only line I remember is "..just like an old time movie. One that I've already seen.."

Anyone?

Dante

Posts: 589 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garyc
Member # 320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garyc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dante,
That's not Key Largo is it?
It's right on the tip of my tongue, but I can't come up with the rest of the lyrics.
GaryC

Posts: 426 | From: Oklahoma City, Ok | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garyc
Member # 320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garyc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not Key Largo. Somebody please help because I'm gonna be up all night.
I think I've come up with a few more scattered lyrics from the song.
"in a castle dark or a fortress strong(or tall)" .....
"what a tale my thoughts would tell"
Help!!
GaryC

Posts: 426 | From: Oklahoma City, Ok | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan
Member # 139

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot.

You can sleep easy now, garyc.

Posts: 1025 | From: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garyc
Member # 320

Stan,
Thanks a million-turns out I didn't lose much sleep, but I came here first to get my answer.
Thanks,
GaryC

ANDANTE
Member # 80

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ANDANTE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stan,

Close, but no cigar. I sing the Lightfoot song quite often and those words are: just like an old time movie...'bout a ghost from a whishing well..

Don't anyone rankle their curd over this. I was just adding to the topic!

Dante

Posts: 589 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I got goose bumps when I read those above lyrics. I thought I was the only one who remembers this song! I include this CD on long car trips when I know I'll be doin' some big I-95 singin'. I'm playing it while I write this. It is "Like an Old Time Movie" by Scott McKenzie. It was his followup hit (#25 nationally)to "San Francisco". I had forgotten all about it until I heard it on a used CD I bought. It is on Columbia's Rock Artifacts Vol.3 Maybe this CD is no longer available.
According to the booklet,the song comes from the album "The Voice of Scott McKenzie". FYI,also according to the booklet he & John Phillips co-wrote "Kokomo".
If you can't find it, post something here to that effect and we can figure out how I can record a minidisc for you.

Posts: 789 | From: Audubon, Pa. | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanJ
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not gonna argue with Brian about Scott McKenzie. Never heard of him myself. Those lyrics that garyc quoted are definitely the Lightfoot song Stan mentioned, as are the lyrics Dante mentioned.

If you could read my mind, love,
What a tale my thoughts could tell.
Just like an old time movie,
'Bout a ghost from a wishing well.
In a castle dark or a fortress strong,
With chains upon my feet.
You know that ghost is me.
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost that you can't see.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanJ (edited February 14, 2000).]

Posts: 2367 | From: London, Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANDANTE
Member # 80

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANDANTE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Brian..
ANDANTE
Member # 80

HI,
OK, I have another one! It's country, male, and was popular in about '92 or '93. I only remember one phrase: "I told her some day, I'll get my mind straight. She said 'I can't wait.......'" These may not be the exact words, but they are close.

Help?

Dante

DanJ
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Someday" by Alan Jackson

Dan

Posts: 2367 | From: London, Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANDANTE
Member # 80

DanJ
Thanks. This is a good thread!

We once had a music store in OKC where you could go in a hum a few bars of any song written and, chances are, one of them could tell you the title. They were the "little man" as Jackson put it, and they are gone.

Later.......

Dante

AnthonyT
Member # 13

Icon 10 posted      Profile for AnthonyT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a GREAT THREAD!

Ok...I have a 80's brainbuster for you all.

There was a song that I really loved during the 80's and for the life of me I cannot remember the title or name of the band. All I can really remmeber of the song was the main part of the chours, "I'll never let you down...let you down again..." I know, not much to go on.

In the video (very early MTV) it showed the lead singer and a pianist (the bandmembers) "fighting" over a woman.

Posts: 1201 | From: Kansas City, MO USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garyc
Member # 320

Haven't got a clue about your song Anthony, but this is too good a thread to let die.
Here's one for you guys
"through the smoke and the beer, it was perfectly clear...
Now I know, but we have to keep this thread alive.
GaryC

DanJ
Member # 43

My first thought on that is that it is "Did I Shave My Legs For This" by Deana Carter. COurse, it could be "Did I Shave My Back For This" by Cledus T Judd, who needs to have more (any?) songs on karaoke.

Dan

garyc
Member # 320

Good guess Dan, but it is older than those songs. 1986 country and male.
What song is it?
GaryC

Kurt Woloch
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Woloch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AnthonyT:

Could it be "I won't let you down" by Ph.D.?

To the others:

Should this be a game or a serious thread? Are we asking for song names just for the fun of it, or because we really don't know which song it is?

Posts: 428 | From: Vienna, Austria, Europe | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is both fun and serious. I have a serious request. There is a line to a song that has been playing over and over in my head since I was in my early twenties. I am not sure if it is a real song , or just something that I made up once. The line goes..."Everybody needs someone to hold, when the nights are long and cold" and it seems there is another line that goes...Everybody needs someone to love...so on and so forth. When I hear it in my head, I tend to hear a Crystal Gayle type voice doing it, or perhaps an Anne Murray type voice. It has a nice tune to it, I'm just wondering if it is a real song or not because if it is, I would love to hear the entire song! Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
Angela

Posts: 72 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grateful
Member # 135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grateful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. This one is REALLY vague! But, I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I was walking in the mall one day, and I overheard this song being played on the mall's speakers. And, I thought to myself "I remember this song! This would be cool for Karaoke. I'll have to remember it so I can check if they have it." So, I remembered a couple of verses, did my shopping, and now I forgot those verses.

The best way I can describe it is that was it had the same "feel" as Don't Worry, Be Happy... and I think it sounded somewhat Jamacian, and I think there was a boat, or a jungle, or something in the song that they're talking about. I believe the song came out in the 80's as well, or around the same time. It's not "Day-O or the "Banana Boat Song" but something simliar. It seemed more upbeat or "danceish". It seems like they used to play it at parties back then too.

I know it's vague, but can anyone help? Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until I hear it again somewhere... that could be 5 years though!

[This message has been edited by Grateful (edited February 21, 2000).]

Brian
Member # 309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pass the dutchie?
Posts: 789 | From: Audubon, Pa. | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurt Woloch
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kurt Woloch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two ideas:

1. My baby just cares for me (Nina Simone)

2. The Carribean Disco Show (Lobo). This came out in 1981 and was a disco-ish medley of carribean style songs, mostly originally by Harry Belafonte, like Day-O, Jamaica Farewell etc.

Posts: 428 | From: Vienna, Austria, Europe | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC the DJ at SONG YEN
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC the DJ at SONG YEN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's UB40 "Red Red Wine"...

"the line broke, the monkey got choked, ban ba gan-ga-pani little rubber boat"

And I think that this should be a serious thread,i.e., not trivia games..if you have a song stuck in your brain and cannot get the title (or the right lyrics for that matter) then come here..if there's enough need, perhaps BC (or the webmaster) could make a new column for it...

Posts: 303 | From: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grateful
Member # 135

I found it! That was too easy! I tried to find the Carribean thing on my MP3 search, and couldn't find it. So, just for the heck of it I typed in Harry Belafonte... and I'm 95% sure this is the right song! (I really don't know much about that type of music, otherwise I would have known he sung it as well as Day-O)...

The song was: Jump In The Line (Shake Senora)

I guess there really was no boat or bananas in it... I probably got all those types of songs mixed up together. I'll have to check the lyrics . I still have never heard anyone do this song, but I think it would go over nicely (if they have it available for Karaoke even, that is).

Thanks!

Just checked - amazingly enough, it's not available for Karaoke . I just requested it directly to SC's research dept.

[This message has been edited by Grateful (edited February 23, 2000).]

AnthonyT
Member # 13

Icon 12 posted      Profile for AnthonyT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone just mentioned JUMP IN THE LINE a few posts ago on one of the request pages. I'd really love to see that one come out on karaoke.
Posts: 1201 | From: Kansas City, MO USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC the DJ at SONG YEN
Member # 184

That was me...and it came off of the "Beetlejuice" soundtrack..
..and YES!! It would make an excellent karaoke anthem!!

The Mercury Lady
Member # 372

Icon 7 posted      Profile for The Mercury Lady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... I'm new to this. A friend said if anyone would know what song I'm talking about it would be someone here on this SoundBoard!

I heard a song a couple of years ago done by Hootie and the Blowfish (but it is not on any of the albums that are available... I already did a lyrics search) that was about this quy in a bar seeing a lady, lighting her cigarette, and the lyrics include "I don't want you to fall in love with me." and something like "It's last call, I look around for you but you're no where to be found" and the last line of the song is "and I think that I just fell in love with you."

This song about a month ago was the closing song for the hit tv show Ally McBeal. It was sung by Vonda Shepherd.

Please help!

Posts: 1 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 309

Alright. I guess this is as good a place as any to ask you all "What lyric is this"? For 30 years I have been trying to figure out what Aretha means by "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, take care of TCT" (TCB? takin care of business?) Anyway, it doesn't make sense to me. Any help?
DanJ
Member # 43

If I remeber right, according to the Pioneer LD, the line is "Take care TCB". Now they would NEVER make a mistake, would they?
Grateful
Member # 135

OK... more misheard lyrics!

In Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel, the opening words according to the Soundchoice CDG is "Help me. Anybody using."

But, those don't really sound like the words when I listen to the real song. Any input?

singirle
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for singirle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mercury Lady...
The Vonda Shepard song from Ally McBeal is called "Searching My Soul".

Posts: 118 | From: Joliet,IL,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Speck
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Speck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grateful,

I don't think those ARE the right words in the SC version of "Sledgehammer"! And I don't think the "fruit cakes" line is correct either--I believe it's "fruit cage".

Best,

Mark

Posts: 1595 | From: Willoughby Hills, Ohio, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockin_Rebecca
Member # 19

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Rockin_Rebecca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that "Searching My Soul" is not the Vonda Shepard song Mercury Lady is looking for. Any other suspects?
Posts: 429 | From: Lincoln, NE USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANDANTE
Member # 80

OK...I need some help! Now the obvious name to this song would be "Missing You", but is that it? Here's some words:

Missing you...Can't help but wish that you
Were in my arms tonight..makin' love to me.
I always spend my time, just writing lines to you.
Can't help but wish that you were saying you miss me too.

Well, anyone ever heard it? Who sang it?

Dante

Mark Speck
Member # 55

Dante,

It's a classic, all right--"Missing You" by Jim Reeves. This was a (very) posthumous hit for him in 1972, eight years after his fatal plane crash.
If you want to sing it, it's only on Chartbusters so far: two discs by that company, one of which is an all-Jim disc that my friend Nick bought primarily for me to sing off of.
Hmmm...I just might sing this one tonight!

Best,

Mark

ANDANTE
Member # 80

Hey, Thanks Mark!!!

I remembered a big, ol' full voice singing it, but I didn't know who. Ever sing "He'll Have to Go"?

Dante

singirle
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for singirle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the only Vonda Sheperd song that I know of from Ally McBeal, but of course I don't watch the show, so that's not saying much.
Posts: 118 | From: Joliet,IL,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Sound Choice Store | Privacy Statement

©1999-2011 Sound Choice