CLICK HERE NOW FOR CUSTOM CDGs
This Link will open a new window to the only legal source for Sound Choice brand custom CDGs.

Search The Sound Choice Store: Go Advanced search
Sound Choice - SoundBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | directory | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Sound Choice - SoundBoard » KJ Forum » Being replaced by CAVS machine and cheap labor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being replaced by CAVS machine and cheap labor
karaokegod73
Member # 1897

Icon 8 posted      Profile for karaokegod73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 7 years, I am being phased out and replaced by a CAVS machine and cheap labor. The bar owners have tried to pass it off as something else and be nice about it, but I know what they are doing.

Some time ago, the bar I work at purchased a pre-loaded CAVS unit, which they have been using on another night of the week. It was only a matter of time for them to find someone who would actually take my show from me. Most people they know who do karaoke are long-time friends of mine who would never interfere with my business.

They tried to make the excuse that business has been in decline, and that they were afraid of losing bartenders. However when I mentioned the upcoming change to one of the bartenders she knew nothing of it. I therefore perceive that excuse as a lie. Anyone else think so? I think all they are doing is trying to save $50 or $60 a week and keep the same crowd. I will let them find out the hard way the mistake they are making.

Posts: 23 | From: CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonman
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the crowd, if they were regulars of the bar before you got there, it won't make a hill of beans difference who is running the show - they were bar rags first & karaoker's second. If that crowd is there because of you, then yes they may lose customers because of it.
Is it a small bar/large bar/genre of music/type of clientelle - ie bikers, old timers, college age, dress up or casual, etc...

I was going through an old directory for karaoke in our area from 2 years ago, there were almost 150 on list running karaoke, today, there are almost 60 - many have quit altogether and a handful have shut their doors entirely! Bar/club entertainment is dying in general. Smaller bars are going to either drop it or go as cheap as possible, larger bars will either drop it or incorporate other form of entertainment into the weekly schedule or karaoke night itself to include more dance music. Gas prices, tougher DUI laws & smoking bans are all playing a factor in the bar/club business in general (not just karaoke).

[ July 24, 2007, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Lonman ]

--------------------
Lonman Productions

We don't entertain you, you entertain EVERYONE!!!

Visit my MySpace site
http://www.myspace.com/lonmanpro
or Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lonmanpro

Posts: 1845 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcolake
Member # 89

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcolake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the three things 'lonman" stated appear to be true.
1/smoking ban-i have only smoked two regular cigarrettes in my life, although my mom died at
59 and my brother at 42 because of tobacco. somehow i still support those to smoke in these places.
2/tougher d.u.i. laws-who wants to take a chance
they might be over the limit to sing another tune??? these laws put cocoa beach, fl. away
15 years ago. i am not taking any position, although i wish someone had a solution to keep things hopping.

in general, bars seem to be on the decline. i mentioned to my last week. there are so few compared to years ago.

i'm so glad i am 48, had my fun, married to a beautiful spanish woman who will be the designated driver when necessary, and have lived the crazy times when available before.

good luck for the future of karaoke, my third love!!!!

Posts: 880 | From: jacksonville, fl | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
[kingtony™]
Member # 1678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for [kingtony™]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm bars are on the decline?

there seem to be more and more here... and almost every bar has karaoke!

--------------------
Be still my heart
This could be a brand new start
with you <3

Posts: 1242 | From: Lakewood, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MISTER WONDERFUL
Member # 1693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MISTER WONDERFUL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a nice stretch, 7 years, usually you'll suffer burnout at a bar in 2 years. move on down the road, if the people liked you they will follow
Posts: 207 | From: joliet Ill usa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJ Plat
Member # 1906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJ Plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry Mr Wonderful, starting on my 15th year at the same location. Burnout, that is what vacations are for. Ask Lonman, he has been at the same location for several years as well. Burnout after 2 years, maybe if you do not like the job to begin with. I take off maybe 5 fridays off a year can do wonders to recharging the batteries
Posts: 49 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonman
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Plat:
sorry Mr Wonderful, starting on my 15th year at the same location. Burnout, that is what vacations are for. Ask Lonman, he has been at the same location for several years as well. Burnout after 2 years, maybe if you do not like the job to begin with. I take off maybe 5 fridays off a year can do wonders to recharging the batteries

Going on 16 years for me - same place. 7 nights a week, I have always run at least 4-5 of the nights depending on the time of year.

--------------------
Lonman Productions

We don't entertain you, you entertain EVERYONE!!!

Visit my MySpace site
http://www.myspace.com/lonmanpro
or Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lonmanpro

Posts: 1845 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timberlea
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timberlea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laurie The Guy in Halifax has missed only one show out of over 3,500 shows and that was due to a surfing accident and he was back the next night. Currently we work 6 nights a week (which over the years varied from 4 to 9 shows a week), one venue for over 10 years, one for four years, and one just before the 9/11 disaster. A good host will always be employed provided they don't ask for an arm and a leg.
Posts: 377 | From: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MISTER WONDERFUL
Member # 1693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MISTER WONDERFUL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't referring to KJ burnout, meant bar burnout, there is always a manager that will opt to ruin something good, and replace it with something stupid.
Posts: 207 | From: joliet Ill usa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Sound Choice Store | Privacy Statement

©1999-2011 Sound Choice